Visa nnd Immigration Advice for New Zealand

Home > Moving Guides > Moving Guides > Moving Guides

Get Free Moving Quotes
Type of Move :
Moving From :

Ask Moving Expert!

Popular Guides

Related Guides

Visa & Immigration

Rating :
  based on 1 visitor(s)    


New Zealand welcomes applications from people wishing to visit New Zealand, whether it is for visit, work or to live. New Zealand welcomes people those are "keen to make a go of it". People with genuine qualifications and experience, and those who are sure about not to drain the resource of the country.

The cost of processing your application for residency is quite expensive and if your request is not granted, do not expect a rebate of the fees that you have paid. If you are still interested, you can go to your nearest immigration office and apply for residency permit. But remember one thing that you have to go through their process of assessment. Do not make any serious decision before you clear their assessment.

New Zealand immigration offices are scattered all over the world where you can receive expert opinion and information and also the necessary application form. Visit the Official Immigration Site Here.

To encourage the entry of tourists and business tourists New Zealand has arranged for visa-free entry for citizens from 25 countries. On the other hand, if you do not belong to the visa-waiver country and still you wish to do any of the following in New Zealand, you need to apply for a visa.
  • You want to study
  • You are sponsored for a visit by a relative or friend in New Zealand
  • You want to work for a job that you have already arranged
  • You want to get medical treatment
Three months is the standard period for a visit to New Zealand. This is equal for both the visa-waiver countries as well as for visa-required countries. If you want to extend your stay you must show some viable reason to extend your stay for another three months. But for this you may not apply for a visitor’s permit if you are a genuine tourist.

If you know before traveling that you need to stay for more than three months, then you should apply for it before you come to New Zealand. This is applicable for both visa-waiver country and visa-required country.

Visitors those who do not ask for prior permission are allowed to stay only for 6 months in New Zealand. After that you must leave the country and stay away for the same period you were here.

Work Permit

Applications of work permits are always considered in the light of local labour market. Policy allows the entry of students on student visa those who are wishing to undertake long-term courses at universities or any other tertiary University.

In tertiary institutions there are courses which are less than three months. For these courses, you do not need a student permit. Provisions are also made for people to enter to New Zealand for medical treatment under certain circumstances.

Details of Work Permit

The objective of the New Zealand work visa and permit policy is to contribute to the development of New Zealand industry and economy. In order to contribute to this aim, New Zealand government attracts skilled migrants.

Work Visas or Permits are granted on a temporary residence basis. Hence, they specify the maximum amount of time you are allowed to live and work in New Zealand.

In order to qualify for the Work Visa or Permit in New Zealand, you need to:
  • Be in Good Health and of Good Character
  • Have a Valid Passport
  • Genuinely intend to work lawfully in New Zealand
Free online work permit assessment to New Zealand is also available here

The work permits to New Zealand are available in two streams:

Skilled Stream This stream consists of 4 broad policies and a small group of other categories that assist in the entry of skilled people.

Family Stream

This enables partners of holders of work visas or work permits to undertake temporary employment in New Zealand.

A work visa will allow you to travel to New Zealand. Once you arrive in New Zealand, your work permit will be issued. New Zealand residents as well as New Zealand Residence permit holders and Australia residence as well as Australia Residence holders do not require a permit to work in New Zealand.


If you have decided to come to New Zealand, you have to live, work, study or invest in New Zealand, then you need to apply for a visa. There are different types of visas that are issued for temporary purposes for which you need to make an application. To determine your eligibility to come to New Zealand, for that defined period of time, you should review the following:

Skilled Migrant

In November 2003, the Minister of Immigration declared the immediate closure of the Interim General Skills category for immigration to New Zealand. A new category, called the Skilled Migrant Category (SMC) was introduced in December 2003.

This requires that all the intending applicants should lodge an Expression of Interest (EOI). The EOIs are placed in a pool and draws are made, currently, two weekly. If you have the required skills, then you are allowed to work and live in New Zealand permanently. However, for that you need to have some the following requirements:
  • Recognized basic qualification, like: Trade Qualification, bachelor’s degree or diploma.
  • Unless you have a New Zealand ‘Base’ qualification, you need two years of working experience.
  • High competency in English
  • Ability to provide financial support as well as accommodation for at least first two years in New Zealand, for himself and his family.
  • Should have a relevant employment offer from New Zealand employer or already employed in New Zealand.
Temporary Work

If you have an offer from a New Zealand employer and you have the particular skill set that is in demand in New Zealand, and you are coming with a particular purpose in New Zealand, then you can apply for temporary work visa.

Work To Residence

Suppose you have an exceptional talent in sports or arts and you are highly qualified and specialized or in-demand field. If this is the case, then you can apply for work permit, under Work to Residence category. This category allows you to work temporarily in New Zealand and is a positive step in gaining permanent residence in New Zealand.

Employee of a Relocating Company

New Zealand offers many investment opportunities. It also welcomes business that wants to move here. If you are a key employee of a company or business that is relocating to New Zealand, then you can apply for a work permit and later a residence permit to New Zealand. You can apply this under the Employee of a Relocating Company category.

Working Holiday

Do you intend to get a real taste of life in New Zealand? New Zealand has agreement with many countries that offer young people aged between 18 and 30 the opportunity to travel around New Zealand, taking up temporary jobs while they are there. Only countries with which New Zealand has an agreement can come for a working holiday and for that also you need a work permit or a work visa.

Business Investor

In this section, points are owed for business experience, investment funds and age. The minimum criteria which all applicants must meet are:
  • The maximum age limit for this category is 84 years.
  • This category requires investment funds of at least NZD 1,000,000, which is approximately 500,000 USD. Investment funds are considered different from personal funds and are invested in New Zealand for at least 2 years in an investment that is capable of commercial return.
  • Investment funds are not to be used for personal gains like, house or car.
  • The actual level of required fund varies depending on the points designated for other criteria.
  • Principal and non-principal applicants may pre-purchase English language tuition if they cannot attain the IELTS, band 5.
  • You have a relevant employment offer from an employer in New Zealand or is already employed in New Zealand.

This category is specially designed for those applicants who have successfully established a business in New Zealand and have proved themselves to be of benefit to New Zealand.

Long-term Business Visa / Permit (LTBV)

This temporary entry category provides application of residence of people applying under Entrepreneur category or those who wish to establish a business in New Zealand but are not intending to live permanently. The spouse or partners of the successful applicants of this category will be granted a multi-entry 3 years work visa or permit. This may be extended for a maximum of 6 years. The successful LTBV holders may apply for residence under the Entrepreneur category after two years.

Employee of a Business Relocating to New Zealand

The EBR facilitates the granting of residence only to the key employees of business relocating to New Zealand. A key employee is like the Chief Operating Officer of the business that is considered to play an important role in the operation of the business. EBR applications are considered by the Minister of Immigration on a case by case basis.

Studying in New Zealand

New Zealand welcomes those people who are coming for educational purpose. International students are ways to build the connection of the country with the rest of the world, thereby enhancing the understanding of other countries and culture.

Family Assessment

You must have immediate family, parents, brother, sister or child legally in New Zealand for 184 days in each of the three years immediately prior to the date of your application. Other requirements depend on your relation with the person residing in New Zealand. Your sponsor must be able to provide you full financial and accommodation support for you for the first two years of your stay in New Zealand. Welfare payments are generally meant for new immigrants.

How To Apply?

The process for applying visa depends on the type of visa you are applying for. Collect the immigration form from your local New Zealand immigration office. Once you have gathered your Immigration form, fill it up and submit it again to the immigration office with documents, such as:
  • The complete application form
  • The applicant fee
  • Your passport
  • Passport sized photograph
  • All the required additional documents
For more Information, Visit

Author :

on June 11, 2015 - Moving Expert
Rate Visa & Immigration from 1 to 5
Average Rating :
based on 1 visitor(s)

Add Your Comments

Moving Companies | Moving Reviews | Moving Guides | About Us | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Join our Network | Vendors Corner | Site Map
© 2024 All Rights Reserved.